Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Note From The New Pennington Pedigrees Editor

My mother has been interested in genealogy for as long as I can remember. Even my husband researched his Irish ancestors to find the documents needed to become an Irish citizen, but not me. That is, until last year when my mother told me she had a grandfather from Ireland. Suddenly everything changed, I knew I was moving to Ireland, and I wanted to learn about my Irish heritage. Turns out it was her great-grandfather, but nevertheless, I’m hooked now. It’s so much fun locating new information about one of my ancestors, and I especially enjoy connecting with long lost cousins. I never realized how addictive genealogy can be, but I love it!

I was researching my great-grandmother, Mary (Pennington) Hanson, online when I found the Pennington Research Association. I couldn’t wait to become a member even though most of the year was past. Soon after I joined, I received an email asking for volunteers, so I enquired about the Editor’s position, and well, here I am!

I am looking forward to the challenges and opportunities that being the new Pennington Pedigrees Editor will bring. I would like to see more members actively involved, so don’t be surprised if you receive an email from me! I would love to hear from you, so please take a moment to share your thoughts, comments, suggestions, questions, or just say hello.

Marsha Hanson-Smith (Group 4)